September 16, 2023
When it comes to optimizing the efficiency and durability of your liftgate fleet, the type of liftgate platform you choose can make a significant difference. In colder states, where winter weather brings challenges like snow, ice, and road salt, opting for an aluminum platform on your liftgate is a decision that can pay dividends throughout the year. We’ll cover the many reasons why an aluminum platform is essential for your liftgate in cold climates including durability, weight advantages, corrosion considerations, safety thoughts, and overall cost-effectiveness.
Although the strengths of aluminum platforms stick out in colder locations, the majority of their benefits are universal for liftgate fleets located in all climates.
What you'll discover in this article:
- Durability of aluminum platforms
- How aluminum platforms can contribute to overall safety
- How the can be more cost effective over their lifetime
- Aesthetic appeal
Want more guidance like this? Keep in touch.
Durability Beyond the Cold
One of the primary reasons why an aluminum platform on a liftgate is crucial in colder states is its exceptional durability. While aluminum is often associated with its lightweight properties, it also boasts remarkable strength. This combination of strength and low weight makes it an ideal choice for liftgate platforms in harsh climates.
The frigid temperatures and icy conditions of colder states can wreak havoc on materials like steel, which is susceptible to rust and rot. Unlike steel, aluminum has remarkable resistance to corrosion. Aluminum has a protective oxide coating that helps to shield it from corrosion. This helps your liftgate platform have a prolonged life, even when subjected to salt, snow, and other corrosive agents used on winter roads.
Safety is a paramount concern in any climate, but it takes on added significance in colder states where winter weather conditions can be treacherous. An aluminum platform contributes to a safer work environment in several ways:
- They may reduce the risk of slips. Aluminum platforms have a corrugated grip as standard and some are also offered in a grip-strut design. These offer high grip in any weather and with the grip-strut, it will stay snow free letting you stay solid on top at all times.
- They can lower the weight which is helpful during manual operation. If you have a manually folding liftgate vs. a hydraulic closing liftgate; the weight of an aluminum platform is far easier to work with than a steel platform. Though most liftgates have a torsion assist to aid in the manual opening/closing operations, the ease of manually operating the aluminum platforms is far greater than that of any steel counterparts.
- They may be more durable over time. An aluminum platform's resistance to corrosion helps ensure that it remains structurally sound over long periods of time. This means fewer unexpected failures or breakdowns, which can enhance the safety of both your workers and the cargo.
Longevity and Cost-Effectiveness
Investing in an aluminum platform for your liftgate in colder states can be viewed as a smart financial decision in the long run. While the initial cost may be slightly higher compared to steel, the durability and resistance to corrosion of aluminum translate into long-term savings. Here's how -
- Reduced Maintenance Costs: Aluminum platforms require less maintenance than steel ones due to their corrosion resistance. You'll spend less on rust removal, repainting, and repairs, contributing to lower operational expenses.
- Extended Lifespan: Aluminum platforms typically have a longer lifespan, providing reliable service for years to come. This reduces the frequency of replacements and the associated costs.
- Resale Value: Vehicles equipped with aluminum platforms tend to have better resale value. Potential buyers are often willing to pay a premium for vehicles with components known for their durability and resistance to corrosion.
- Operational Efficiency: The weight advantages of aluminum can lead to improved fuel efficiency for your vehicles, further reducing operational costs.
While functionality and durability are paramount, the aesthetics of your equipment may also matter. Aluminum's sleek and modern appearance can enhance the overall look of your vehicles. In colder states, where winter weather can be dreary, a clean and professional appearance can set your fleet apart. Not to mention several of the cantilever and rail gates fold up so you can use the underside as a billboard for your company!
In colder states, where winter weather brings unique challenges to cargo transportation and delivery businesses, choosing an aluminum platform for your liftgate is not just an option, it's a strategic decision. The exceptional durability, weight advantages, corrosion resistance, safety considerations, and long-term cost-effectiveness make an aluminum platform an essential choice for those looking to optimize their operations in any climate, but especially in the colder ones. By investing in an aluminum platform, you're not just preparing for winter – you're setting the foundation for year-round success.
Disclaimer: The content of this article and website is available for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for the professional advice of a mechanic who has personally inspected your vehicle, liftgate, or any property, nor does it create a relationship of any kind between LiftGateMe and you. Every situation may be different, and LiftGateMe does not make any warranties, whether express or implied, as to the accuracy, fitness, or applicability of the information, liftgate, vehicle, parts or other property, portrayed in this article and website. LiftGateMe makes no guarantee of results or outcomes. LiftGateMe will not be liable for any damages related to personal injury, property damage or loss of any kind that may result from the use or reliance of our information and/or any automotive parts represented. You are using the information and automotive parts portrayed in this video solely at your own risk.
Thanks For Reading!
- Your Team at LiftGateMe